Through coaching, I’ve noticed that the most successful individuals are those who are highly intentional about the future they want to create for themselves. We can all do it; sometimes we just need a little help visualizing our path, charting our course, and navigating the journey.
Typically, when we meet with new clients, we provide journals and some thought provokers to help encourage the first step in the self-discovery process. In our EDGE3 blogs, I’ve talked about the journaling I do, and not only does it help me get my thoughts out and reflect on things, I also refer back to it for a variety of reasons – inspiration, goal setting, clarity, a shift in perspective – and that’s a helpful tool (a map of my thoughts, if you will).
Whether it’s moving up the corporate ladder, starting a new business, achieving a physical goal, or hitting a life milestone… there’s only one person that can define your success… YOU!
So, how do you get started using a journal as a support tool for your success? Take a break from your “To Do” list and focus on the “What I’ve Done” list! It’s time to examine your successes to date, and build on the momentum.
Here are some thought provokers to start your journey:
STEP 1: DEFINING SUCCESS
• What’s my version of success?
• Who are my heroes & role models?
• What are the traits that I admire in the people I respect the most?
STEP 2: LOGGING YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• What personal traits make me proud?
• What was my proudest moment?
• What have my big achievements been, to-date?
STEP 3: RECOGNIZING THE PATTERNS
• What skills have contributed to my success?
• Where have I been most successful?
STEP 4: DREAM BIG!
• If failing weren’t a possibility, what would I do?
• Where do I want to be in 6 months? 1 year? 5 years?
STEP 5: LETTING GO
• What’s holding me back?
• What do I need to let go of to move forward?
STEP 6: START NOW
• What is one small step that I can take today?
Committing time daily to check in with yourself, and record your thoughts will help finely tune your focus toward the goals you set for yourself.
Need a hand with the process? We have a complimentary EDGE3 journal and a ½ hour coaching session for the first 10 people who contact us.